Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Emery | Reddy PLLC’s dedicated advocacy on behalf of workers has directly changed Washington State law to clarify employers’ duty to accommodate their workers. Our team achieved this result after a 7-year legal battle defending the rights of our clients. Through the trial work of our Washington State ADA lawyers, when an employee requests an accommodation due to a disability in order to continue working, the employer must engage in an interactive process with the worker to identify a reasonable accommodation. This means that if you request a reasonable accommodation, your employer must work with you to come up with a solution that allows you to continue working. However, few employers know the law, and many simply refuse to follow it.
If your accommodation request has been denied or your employer took adverse action against you following that request, call us today so we can help. We have a long track record of bringing successful lawsuits against employers for ADA violations.
Our ADA lawyers regularly take cases for other violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act, such as failure to hire, firing, or disparate treatment of those with disabilities.
The Ten Most Common Disabilities Are As Follows:
- Back or spinal injury: The accommodation most likely to be required for employees with back and spinal injuries is a lifting limitation.
- Psychiatric/mental impairments: ADA claims in this category include impairments like major depressive disorder, anxiety, psychological problems, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Neurological impairments: Epilepsy, severe migraine headaches, and nervous system disorders are examples of neurological impairments.
- Extremities: Hand and leg impairments and carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) are included under this category of impairments.
- Heart impairments: When an individual has a heart defect, the accommodation required will likely be restrictions on lifting or strenuous activity.
- Substance abuse: Substance abuse refers to both alcohol and drug abuse for ADA purposes.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is an impairment specifically listed in the legislative history of the ADA as constituting a physical impairment.
- Hearing impairments: These cases include complete deafness and significant hearing loss.
- Vision impairments: Vision impairments include total blindness and serious vision problems; accommodations may range from providing reading assistance to purchasing certain equipment.
- Blood disorder: ADA claims involving blood disorders often refer to Hepatitis. It is important to note that an employer may refuse to assign or continue to assign an individual to a position involving the handling of food if the individual has Hepatitis A or any other covered pathogen and if the employer cannot eliminate the risk of transmission through reasonable accommodation.
Do I Need To Hire An ADA Lawyer?
If you have tried to resolve an accommodation request with your employer and nothing has been done, then it’s time to consult with an experienced Seattle ADA lawyer. They can help you determine if you have a case, and what your options are. If needed, they can help you bring the case to court or help you negotiate a deal with your employer without ever stepping into a courtroom.
Employment law is complicated and can be overwhelming for anyone not familiar with it. Trying to hold a company accountable for bad business practices requires a skilled attorney on your side to navigate the different laws and tactics an employer may use.
Want More Information?
Everyone deserves to be paid a fair wage and on time. Unfortunately, some employers disregard Washington State employment laws and don’t pay their employees what they are owed, resulting in wage and hour violations.
A document review is a comprehensive consultation and analysis of your document’s legal language, context, and impact on your worker’s rights as an employee of Washington State.
If you believe you are a victim of wrongful termination, you need an aggressive and experienced legal team to fight for the justice you deserve.
Meet The Team
The Seattle ADA lawyers at Emery | Reddy, PLLC are passionate about helping workers with employment law issues and L&I claims. We Help Workers®: it’s our motto and what drives us every day.
We know how companies think, and we understand the tactics they use. Our ADA lawyers use that knowledge coupled with over two decades of experience to help our clients get access to the benefits to which they are legally entitled and hold employers accountable when they break the law.